The revised and updated seventh edition of Health Professional and Patient Interaction emphasizes respectful interactions in a wide range of health care settings. Strategies for effectively communicating with patients of all ages, as well as abusive, depressed and impaired patients, are illustrated through examples and various scenarios.
• A framework of respect and ethics is presented to drive decision making in patient communication.
• Patient stories introduce the patient's point of view to illustrate the principles described in each chapter.
• Individual chapters detail advice for effective, respectful interaction with newborns through toddlers, children and adolescents, adults, and older adults.
• Questions for Thought and Discussion ending each section engage students in applying their knowledge to a variety of situations.
• Updated information highlights the importance of professionalism and values.
• A context of respect is addressed in relation to institutional settings, a diverse society, and difficult situations.
• Self respect in the student years and the professional medical career is emphasized.
• Reflections boxes encourage critical thinking through questions based on given scenarios, as well as the reader's personal experiences.
• Two-color design visually reinforces learning opportunities.