This easy-to-use new edition of Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology helps you effectively master the most important principles and facts in pathology. More than 1,100 questions—many new to this edition—reinforce the fundamentals of gross and microscopic pathology as well as the latest findings in molecular biology and genetics. Based on two of the best-selling, most authoritative pathology textbooks—Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th Edition and Basic Pathology, 8th Edition—Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology, 3rd Edition is an ideal aid for coursework, self-assessment, and examinations, including the USMLE Step 1 examination in pathology.
• Offers questions in the clinical vignette style, emphasizing problem solving over rote memorization. Presented in both single-best-answer and extended-matching formats, they reflect levels of difficulty that prepare you for examinations.
• Provides an answer and a detailed explanation for every question at the end of each chapter.
• Includes page references and a parallel organization to both Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease and Robbins Basic Pathology, making additional information easy to locate.
• Presents correlative laboratory, radiologic, and physical diagnostic data to enhance your understanding of pathophysiology and integrate pathology with other medical disciplines.
• Uses numerous full-color illustrations to test your diagnostic skills.
• Delivers a final comprehensive exam of 50 questions on random exam topics that mimic the USMLE Step 1.
• Features new questions that reflect today’s hot topics in pathology, keeping you up to date.
• Includes many new illustrations to enhance visual guidance.
• Uses a new chapter arrangement to conform to the new Table of Contents in Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 8th Edition, for easier cross referencing.
Table of Contents
Ch. 1 Cellular pathology 3
Ch. 2 Acute and chronic inflammation 12
Ch. 3 Tissue renewal and repair : regeneration, healing, and fibrosis 21
Ch. 4 Hemodynamic disorders, thromboembolic disease, and shock 26
Ch. 5 Genetic disorders 36
Ch. 6 Diseases of immunity 47
Ch. 7 Neoplasia 66
Ch. 8 Infectious diseases 82
Ch. 9 Environmental and nutritional pathology 100
Ch. 10 Diseases of infancy and childhood 114
Ch. 11 Blood vessels 127
Ch. 12 The heart 139
Ch. 13 Red blood cell and bleeding disorders 156
Ch. 14 Diseases of white blood cells, lymph nodes, spleen, and thymus 174
Ch. 15 The lung 194
Ch. 16 Head and neck 213
Ch. 17 The gastrointestinal tract 220
Ch. 18 The liver and the biliary tract 239
Ch. 19 The pancreas 255
Ch. 20 The kidney and the lower urinary tract 263
Ch. 21 The male genital tract 285
Ch. 22 The female genital tract 293
Ch. 23 The breast 307
Ch. 24 The endocrine system 314
Ch. 25 The skin 329
Ch. 26 Bones, joints, and soft tissue tumors 339
Ch. 27 Peripheral nerve and skeletal muscle 356
Ch. 28 The central nervous system 362
Ch. 29 The eye 382
Ch. 30 Final review and assessment 391